Rodney Strong Vineyards- 2009 Charlotte's Home Sauvignon Blanc

The Rodney Strong Vineyards 2009 Charlotte’s Home Sauvignon Blanc was produced from fruit sourced mostly at an Estate vineyard of the same name. The rest of the fruit was sourced from other estate vines. This offering is 100% Sauvignon Blanc. 90% of the wine was cold fermented in stainless steel tanks without malolactic. The remaining 10% was fermented in French oak barrels with malolactic. This wine which is widely available nationwide has a suggested retail price of $13.50.

Aromas of lemon, white pepper and limestone fill the fresh, provocative nose of this 2009 Sauvignon Blanc. Throughout the palate there are copious citrus notes present along with elements of pear and lots of spice. Grapefruit, lemon ice with a creamy tinge, minerals, and white pepper are all part of the finish which is clean, crisp and refreshing; beckoning you back to the glass for sip after sip.

I like this wine for quite a few reasons; it’s zesty zippy and incredibly appealing. It also offers a ton of character and excellent Sauvignon Blanc flavor at a modest price point. While I find that many Sauvignon Blanc’s really need food to perform well, Charlotte’s Home from Rodney Strong does as well on its own as partnered with the right cuisine. This wine excels ice-cold and that’s how I choose to serve it. The bottom line for me is that I reach for this wine time after time and vintage after vintage, it’s become a standard-bearer for me. Its wide availability across the country, and more than reasonable price point, makes it an easy go to choice.