Paul Dolan Vineyards - 2007 Zinfandel

The Paul Dolan Vineyards 2007 Zinfandel was produced using fruit sourced in two distinct appellations. The majority (79%) is from Mendocino with the remaining 21% coming from Amador County. Barrel aging was accomplished over 20 months in American oak. The grapes used were organically grown and certified as such. Just fewer than 3,000 cases of this offering were made and it has a suggested retail price of $25. Aromas of black mission fig and dark berry fill the nose of this 2007 Zinfandel. Zippy black raspberry flavors along with blueberry and droves of cherry are joined by a wealth of spices such as black pepper and nutmeg throughout the bold and layered palate of this wine. Black tea, minerals, chicory, earth, dusty baker’s chocolate and a hint of coal are all present in the lengthy finish of this Zinfandel.

What I like most about this Zinfandel is its depth. Too often Zinfandel is a lot of up front flash without much substance or backbone supporting it. That’s not the case here as this wine, while plenty big enough, including a nice bit of jam laden fruit is also well proportioned. I paired this Zinfandel with Cuban Beef Stew served with a side of Cilantro Rice and it was a marvelous match. I went back to this wine after it had been open for a full 24 hours. I found that not only had it held up it was drinking even better than it had the first night. This is first rate Zinfandel from Paul Dolan Vineyards.  At a pricepoint of $25 it also represents a very good value.